Sunday, April 17, 2005

Permissions

I run Linux on mylaptop. It's a sort of mongrel Debian unstable installation that used Knoppix to side-step the usual Debian installation pain. One of the first things I did was to apt-get Firefox. Then along came updates; now we have reached 1.03. Installing red-hot fresh Firefox releases means a manual install; if you want to use apt-get, you have to wait until the .deb package is released.
For my lack of patience, the reward is pain. Pain because printing didn't work – a permissions problem in /var/tmp, as far as I remember. Easy to fix; once you know where to look.
Then extensions didn't work. Extensions wouldn't install; they would say that they would install the next time Firefox re-started. Restart firefox and they would still promise that they would install the next time Firefox re-starts. Permissions problems again; to get a new install to work at all, I needed to bring up Firefox once as root. After that, I must chown all the files and folders it created in my .mozilla folder.
At least its better than rooting around in the registry.
Category: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home